Working with a .gpx File
Many times, people have asked us how they can load our routes onto their computer. If you don’t work with routes very often, it imay not be obvious. However, it is fairly easy as we will show you below.
Most people will want to view the route in Google Maps, however, as you will see in our example, Google Maps does not give the best result.
NOTE: Google Maps will NOT work as a Smartphone Navigation Aid for pre-planned routes such as those provided by Driftless Road Adventures, LLC.
Insert your USB stick or SD card into your computer.
Open Google Maps.
Click on the 3 lines in the upper left corner.
4. Select Your Places.
5. Select Maps
6. Select: Create Map
7. This will open a new map window.
8. Select Import
9. In the next window select the file you want to view.
10. Your route will load, but as you can see, it will not show the exact roads used, it will show straight line connections to each of the main points.
11. The way to make it display correctly is to run the .gpx file through a converter and create a .kml/kmz file. This type of file format is displayed correctly in Google Maps.
12. The best file converter I have found is called GPSVisualizer. This is a web page that will convert your file and then allow you to download and then view in Google Maps.
But there is an alternative to this process using a different map viewer called Kurviger.
Go to the web page Kurviger.de
It will ask you for a profile, which you can fill out or skip (cancel).
4. This will open a new popup window.
5. Unselect: Show as overlay on map.
6. Click on the box at the top (.gps .itn .mpjs or kurviger file).
7. Find your file.
8. Notice, your file name appears at the top of the box. Select Import.
9. Your route will be displayed in the map. There is an elevation chart in the lower right, and some information and options are available in the menu on the left.
10. You can zoom in and view different parts of the map.
One thing to note, Kurviger also makes a very good Smartphone navigation App. There is a free version and a Pro version which gives you turn by turn. Unfortunately, it is only available for Android at this time.
We hope this helps answer your questions, but if you need more help, don’t hesitate to contact us.